Pictures from Senegal

Peace Corps 50th Anniversary, 1961–2011

Tuesday, October 13

French vs Wolof

The anxiety of staging is over. I passed French with intermediate high, one step above where I needed to be (and already was) for PC, but also one step below where I wanted. I've had conversations with my language trainer, technical trainer, and country director about where to go from here... but I'm conflicted. I don't need a tutor for French. I don't think I can learn 2 languages at once. I've been told I need to keep a good base in French and when comfortable move to Wolof. I've been told I'll be a better volunteer with Wolof... and yet I don't want to learn it. I've met volunteers that left French behind to learn Wolof, but feel they haven't made a big enough difference with their work. My strategy for now is to just see how week one goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment